Notes and Editorial Reviews
Note: A complete tracklist for this release is currently under development. -
2018 marks the 150th anniversary of Gioacchino Rossini on 13 November. The Rossini Edition is the most comprehensive edition devoted to Rossini ever produced.
Born in 1792, Rossini was the most popular opera composer of his time. Although he retired from the Opera scene in 1829, he continued to compose in other genres, including sacred music, piano and chamber works. He did gather his late works under the ironic title Péchés de vieillesse (Sins of Old Age), which veils a true collection of masterworks.
It includes thirteen complete operas, the Rossini Gala - the legendary concert given at the Lincoln Center in 1992, five complete recitals including the recent recording with Joyce DiDonato or the famous Rockwell Blake. -----
SUMMARY OF CONTENTS
• 13 complete operas including well-known as well as absolute rarities
• The Rossini Gala, the legendary “all stars” concert which was given at the Lincoln Center, New York, for the bi-centenary of Rossini in 1992
• 5 complete recitals, including the recent recording Joyce DiDonato or the 2 rare but very sought after recitals by Rockwell Blake.
• A very nice collection of overtures and opera arias
• 3 sacred works
• Clarinet, chamber and piano works among other rarities
A dazzling cast list of the best artists in this repertoire throughout record history -
• Maria Callas, Cecilia Bartoli, Joyce DiDonato, Beverly Sills, Montserrat Caballé, Anna Netrebko, Marilyn Horne, Christa Ludwig, etc.
• Nicolai Gedda, Ruggero Raimondi, Gabriel Bacquier, Rockwell Blake, Thomas Hampson, Chris Merritt, etc.
• Conductors include Antonio Pappano, Claudio Scimone, Carlo Maria Giulini, etc.