Notes and Editorial Reviews
Quite simply some of the finest guitar playing you'll ever hear.? Gramophone
?Nothing obscures the subtlety and beauty of his solo guitar.? The Times
World-renowned guitarist William Carter presents an appealing collection of early works by Spanish guitar virtuoso and composer Fernando Sor (1778 ? 1839). William Carter employs a performance practice endorsed by Sor himself - playing without fingernails ? making this a truly unique recording.
Composer: Fernando Sor
? William Carter believes Sor?s guitar music is some of the finest ever written for the instrument. ?Fernando Sor: Early Works? includes three large-scale works, interspersed with shorter pieces, which are charming and intimate with a strong Spanish flavour.
? Carter?s use of his fingertips delivers wider dynamic contrasts and a softer, more subtle sound. This is the premiere recording of Sor?s early works to explore this performance practice.
? William Carter?s recording is a blend of his incredible knowledge of the instrument and composer, his extensive research and endless hours of perfecting his technique.
? A founding-member of the famous Palladian Ensemble, Carter has a deserved reputation as one of the finest baroque guitarists with critically acclaimed performances as an orchestral player, chamber musician and soloist.
? William Carter is a member of The Academy of Ancient Music, The English Concert and Palladians and is well known in the UK as a regular performer at Early Music Festivals.
? William Carter?s passion for the guitar, baroque guitar, lute and theorbo enthuses his playing with a freshness and vitality, coupled with faultless technique.
Also available on Linn:
?La Guitarra Española - The Music of Santiago de Murcia? (CKD 288) ? named Editor?s Choice in Gramophone (2007)
?La Guitarre Royalle? (CKD 185) - named in Gramophone's ?Critic's Choice' list (2005)
1. Three Minuets, Op.11 - No.6 in A major: Andante Maestoso
2. Three Minuets, Op.11 - No.7 in a minor: Andante
3. Three Minuets, Op.11 - No.8 in A major: Andante con moto
4. Air: ?Oh Cara armonia? from Il Flauto Magico, Op.9
5. Menuet in c minor, Op.24 No.1
6. Menuet in C major, Op.5 No.3
7. Andante Largo, Op.5 No.3
8. Two Minuets, Op.11 - No.5 in D major: Andante Maestoso
9. Two Minuets, Op.11 - No.4 in D major: Andante con moto
10. Studios for the Spanish Guitar, Op.6 - No.2 in A major: Andante Allegro
11. Studios for the Spanish Guitar, Op.6 - No.8 in C major: Andantino
12. Studios for the Spanish Guitar, Op.6 - No.9 in d minor: Andante Allegro
13. Studios for the Spanish Guitar, Op.6 - No.11 in e minor: Allegro Moderato
14. Studios for the Spanish Guitar, Op.6 - No.12 in A major: Andante
15. Grand Solo Op.14: Andante, Allegro
16. Menuet in G major, Op.3
Total Running Time: 61 minutes