A new Italian album opens a stained-glass window on [Couperin's] craft as a church organist... Couperin was in his early 30s when he paid to have two sets of sacred organ pieces published... Both are recorded in full on this excellent two-CD album...
-- John Terauds, Musical Toronto [1/29/2013]
François Couperin, the most important member of the renowned Couperin dynasty, is the foremost composer of the French Baroque. A prodigiously talented keyboard player, he inherited the post of organist at the church of St Gervais in Paris when he was just eleven years old, subsequently dividing his time between the capital and Versailles upon becoming organiste du Roi in 1693. Spanning twoRead more CDs, this recording focuses on two works associated with the organ in the former church: Messe pour les couvents and the Messe pour les paroisses.
The florid ornamentation that is so characteristic of the French Baroque is present in much of Couperin's work. However, Couperin was heavily influenced by the Italian style which, as well as the influences of opera and the cantata, can be heard throughout the Messe pour les couvents. In Couperin's time, composition for the Mass was heavily regulated, but a lack of regulation with regard to the Offertory allowed the composer more freedom to explore chromaticism in this work. The Offertories of both Masses are treated on a particularly grand scale, and are highlights of this recording.
Adriano Falcioni, a leading European organist, has been a finalist and prizewinner of many international competitions. Having already recorded Cesar Franck's Complete Organ Music for Brilliant Classics, he is joined on this recording by female vocal ensemble Armoniosoincanto, whose voices are renowned for their pure and distinctive tones. This winning combination of performers makes the recording a must-buy.
- The complete organ Masses of the Grand master of French Baroque, Francois Couperin.
- Recorded in February & March 2012, Church of Santa Maria della Neve, Senigallia, Italy.
- Performed on a 3-manual organ built by Pinchi.
- New recording, by international prize-winning organist Adriano Falcioni (who already recorded the organ works of Cesar Franck, BC 94349) and the female vocal group Armoniosoincanto.
- Includes comprehensive booklet notes and biographies. Read less