Notes and Editorial Reviews
This 1951 recording of the songs from Babes in Arms was the first serious attempt to record one of the most successful, hit-laden original Broadway scores created by composer Richard Rodgers and lyricist Lorenz Hart. Between their first collaboration on a song in 1919 and Hart’s death in 1943, the team wrote almost thirty Broadway musicals and original songs for five film musicals. Babes in Arms had a successful and profitable, if not remarkable, Broadway run following its 1937 premiere, and the movie rights were sold to MGM the following year.
1. Overture - Orchestra
2. Where or When - Mary Martin
3. Babes in Arms - Jack Cassidy
4. I Wish I Were in Love Again - Jack Cassidy, Mardi
5. Way Out West - Mardi Bayne
6. My Funny Valentine - Mary Martin
7. Johnny One Note - Mary Martin, Chorus
8. Imagine - Mardi Bayne
9. All at Once - Jack Cassidy, Mardi Bayne
10. The Lady Is a Tramp - Mary Martin
11. You Are So Fair - Jack Cassidy
12. Finale - Mary Martin, Chorus
Music by Richard Rodgers. Lyrics by Lorenz Hart.
Chorus and Orchestra conducted by Lehman Engel.
Orchestrations by Ted Royal (tracks 7, 10, 12); Carol Huxley (tracks 1, 3–6, 8, 9, 11); Ben Ludlow (track 2) Vocal arrangements by Johnny Lesko
Produced by Goddard Lieberson. Recorded on March 20–21, 27 & April 2–3, 1951, in New York City.
Works on This Recording
Babes in Arms by Richard Rodgers
Mardi Bayne (Voice),
Mary Martin (Voice),
Jack Cassidy (Voice)
Period: 20th Century
Written: 1937; USA
Date of Recording: 1951
Venue: New York, NY
Be the first to review this title