This is the first release on CD of a legendary live performance previously only available on 2 Turnabout LPs. As always with Richter, his performances inhabit a granite-like lock on the composer’s intentions.
• This particular occasion shows the master covering a wide range of repertoire unified by his trademark breathtaking technique and searingly concentrated spirit.
• Each time he performs a recognized masterpiece, it sounds as if it is a newly minted but totally valid interpretation:
• Haydn's Sonata No. 37 in E Major - a beautiful line carved from perfect crystal.
• Schumann's Noveletten 1 & 2 - unbridled romantic passion in a curiously metric march and a toccata.
• Chopin's Ballade in G Minor -Read more surely the most memorable performance ever of this work encompassing a bewildering contrast between somber dignity and soaring emotions.
• Debussy's Preludes Book 2 & La serenade interrompue - A masterful evocation of each of these works' unique impressions. Read less
Works on This Recording
Applauseby Recorded Sound Date of Recording: 06/14/1967 Venue: Spoleto Length: 0 Minutes 16 Secs.
A Wonderful Memento of the Fabled PianistMarch 29, 2016By JOHN D T. (Boston, MA)See All My Reviews"The sound quality of this CD is a tribute to the brilliance of the recital--and that includes the surprise contribution of the church bells. If you are a fan of Richter's, then I think you'll find that this memento is a mandatory part of your collection. -jdt"Report Abuse