Notes and Editorial Reviews
Manon (Gesamtaufnahme · Complete)
Anna Netrebko · Rolando Villazón Alfredo Daza · Christof Fischesser
Directed by Vincent Paterson
2 DVD-VIDEO NTSC 073 4431 |G|H 2|
STEREO: PCM / SURROUND: DTS 5.1
Picture Format: 16:9
A co-production of Los Angeles Opera and Staatsoper Unter den Linden
A production of UNITEL, Munich
* Following the artistic and commercial success of their last DVD project, La Traviata from the 2005 Salzburg Festival, opera superstars Anna Netrebko and Rolando Villazón
bring their combined talents to Jules Massenet’s Manon * Netrebko was born to play the title role: her voice and body language capturing the fluctuating personality of the complex Manon, one minute girlish, the next introspective. “She is a real stage animal, constantly reacting to what is happening around her”, wrote Opera of her performance. Villazón is compelling as Des Grieux, expressing all the burning passion of the doomed lover in his burnished, supple tenor.
* This is a production with a distinct Hollywood touch: first-time opera director Vincent Paterson has previously worked with Madonna, Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney and staged several Broadway musicals. He has already enjoyed great success with his first classical DVD project for DG: The Woman – The Voice featuring Anna Netrebko.
* Given his show-business background, Paterson interprets Manon as a Hollywood cinematic tale for the opera stage with Massenet’s colourful music as a kind of soundtrack. The press raved about the opera event of the year in Berlin, while the live public screening of one of the performances in the square in front of the opera house attracted an audience of more than 20,000 people.
* Musically, the production is equally accomplished. The Staatskapelle Berlin is conducted by Daniel Barenboim, who “infuses the appealing melodies with colour and is finely attuned to the emotional fragility they express.” (Süddeutsche Zeitung)
* Additional features: Produced in HD, length 170 min., to be released in NTSC 16:9 widescreen; audio is in 5.1 DTS surround sound & PCM stereo. Bonus: “The Making of Manon” (20 min., in stereo sound only).
Works on This Recording
Manon by Jules Massenet
Rémy Corazza (Tenor),
Arttu Kataja (Bass),
Christof Fischesser (Bass),
Anna Netrebko (Soprano),
Alfredo Daza (Baritone),
Rolando Villazón (Tenor),
Hanan Alattar (Soprano),
Gal James (Soprano)
Berlin Staatskapelle Orchestra,
Berlin State Opera Chorus
Written: 1883-1884; France
Be the first to review this title