Notes and Editorial Reviews
Music and lyrics by Jerry Herman.
Principal cast includes: Pearl Bailey, Cab Calloway, Emily Yancy, Jack Crowder, Winston DeWitt Hemsley, and Chris Calloway.
Saul Schechtman, conductor.
So successful was Hello, Dolly! on Broadway that producer David Merrick took the bold step in 1967 of recasting the entire production with an African-American cast, led by Pearl Bailey and Cab Calloway. The powerful response inspired a second cast recording of the original production, made on November 17, 1967 in Webster Hall in New York City. Produced by George R. Marek and Andy Wiswell, the recording captures Bailey and Calloway’s infectious performances, and the cast includes Emily Yancy, Jack Crowder, Winston
DeWitt Hemsley and Chris Calloway, with Saul Schechtman conducting.
Recorded November 17, 1967, in Webster Hall, New York, NY.
Producers: George R. Marek and Andy Wiswell.
2. I Put My Hand In - Pearl Bailey
3. It Takes a Woman - Cab Calloway
4. Put On Your Sunday Clothes - Pearl Bailey / Jack Crowder / Winston DeWitt Hemsley / Roger Lawson
5. Ribbons Down My Back - Emily Yancy
6. Motherhood - Pearl Bailey / Chris Calloway / Emily Yancy
7. Dancing - Pearl Bailey / Jack Crowder / Winston DeWitt Hemsley / Emily Yancy
8. Before the Parade Passes By - Pearl Bailey
9. Elegance - Emily Yancy / Chris Calloway / Jack Crowder / Winston DeWitt Hemsley
10. Hello, Dolly! - Pearl Bailey
11. It Only Takes a Moment - Jack Crowder / Emily Yancy
12. So Long Dearie - Pearl Bailey
13. Finale - Pearl Bailey / Cab Calloway
Works on This Recording
Hello, Dolly! by Jerry Herman
Emily Yancy (Voice),
Winston DeWitt Hemsley (Voice),
Cab Calloway (Voice),
Pearl Bailey (Voice),
Jack Crowder (Voice),
Roger Lawson (Voice),
Chris Calloway (Voice)
Period: 20th Century
Written: 1964; USA
Date of Recording: 11/17/1967
Venue: Webster Hall, New York
Be the first to review this title