This title is currently unavailable.
This CD is reissued by ArkivMusic.
Notes and Editorial Reviews
Music and lyrics by Jerry Herman.
Principal cast includes: Carol Channing, David Burns, Eileen Brennan, Charles Nelson Reilly, and Jerry Dodge.
Shepard Coleman, conductor.
The biggest hit among Jerry Herman’s musicals, Hello, Dolly! was the blockbuster of the 1963-64 season, with Carol Channing in the title role and a cast that included David Burns, Eileen Brennan and Charles Nelson Reilly. The show swept the Tony Awards with a record 10 wins (a record that held until The Producers in 2001), including Best Musical and awards to Herman for his music and lyrics, and Channing for her performance. For a time, it was the longest-running musical in Broadway history. Recorded January 19, 1964 (three days
after the show opened) in New York’s Webster Hall and produced by Andy Wiswell, the original cast recording of Hello, Dolly! was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2002. This deluxe collector's edition includes tracks by such subsequent Dollys as Mary Martin, Pearl Bailey and Ethel Merman, and it includes a 2003 interview with Carol Channing.
Bonus tracks include tracks by Mary Martin, Pearl Bailey and Ethel Merman, plus a 2003 interview with Carol Channing.
Recorded November 17, 1967, in Webster Hall, New York, NY.
Producers: George R. Marek and Andy Wiswell.
2. I Put My Hand In - Carol Channing / Company
3. It Takes a Woman - David Burns / Company
4. Put On Your Sunday Clothes - Charles Nelson Reilly / Jerry Dodge / Carol Channing / Igors Gavon / Company
5. Ribbons Down My Back - Eileen Brennan
6. Motherhood - Carol Channing / Eileen Brennan / Sondra Lee
7. Dancing - Carol Channing / Charles Nelson Reilly / Jerry Dodge / Eileen Brennan
8. Before the Parade Passes By - Carol Channing / Company
9. Elegance - Eileen Brennan / Charles Nelson Reilly / Sondra Lee / Jerry Dodge
10. Hello, Dolly! - Carol Channing / Company
11. It Only Takes a Moment - Charles Nelson Reilly / Eileen Brennan / Company
12. So Long Dearie - Carol Channing
13. Finale - David Burns / Carol Channing
14. I Put My Hand In (Bonus Track, from Original London Cast Recording) - Mary Martin
15. Before the Parade Passes By (Bonus Track, from 1967 Broadway Cast Recording) - Pearl Bailey
16. Hello, Dolly! (Bonus Track, from 1967 Broadway Cast Recording) - Pearl Bailey
17. So Long Dearie (Bonus Track, from Original London Cast Recording) - Mary Martin
18. Love, Look in My Window (Bonus Track) - Ethel Merman
19. World, Take Me Back (Bonus Track) - Ethel Merman
20. From 2003 Interview with Carol Channing: On recording "Hello, Dolly!"
21. From 2003 Interview with Carol Channing: When did you sense that "Hello, Dolly!" would be a hit?
22. From 2003 Interview with Carol Channing: On the title number
23. From 2003 Interview with Carol Channing: "Dolly changed me"
24. From 2003 Interview with Carol Channing: The plot
25. From 2003 Interview with Carol Channing: Optimism, and finding one's character
26. From 2003 Interview with Carol Channing: The prime of life
Works on This Recording
Hello, Dolly! by Jerry Herman
Eileen Brennan (Voice),
Jerry Dodge (Voice),
Charles Nelson Reilly (Voice),
Carol Channing (Voice),
David Burns (Voice),
Igors Gavon (Voice),
Sondra Lee (Voice)
Period: 20th Century
Written: 1964; USA
Date of Recording: 01/19/1964
Venue: Webster Hall, New York
Hello, Dolly!: Hello, Dolly! by Jerry Herman
Pearl Bailey (Voice)
Period: 20th Century
Written: 1964; USA
Date of Recording: 1967
Average Customer Review: ( 1 Customer Review )
GOOD TO HEAR THIS SCORE AND VOCALS AGAIN. January 27, 2015
By Alan H. (San Francisco, CA) See All My Reviews
"THIS EDITION INCLUDES THE WONDERFUL PEARL BAILEY IN HER VERSION OF THE TITLE SONG. ALSO MARY MARTIN AND HER VERSION OF A FEW NUMBERS. SOME VERY RARE ETHEL MERMAN STUDIO RECORDINGS WITH PIANO. NUMBERS WRITTEN ESPECIALLY FOR HER AS THE ORIGINAL CHOICE FOR DOLLY LEVI. I WOULD HAVE GIVEN 5 STARS IF THE COMPLETE CHANNING, BAILEY AND MARTIN RECORDINGS HAD BEEN INCLUDED. MERMAN DID NOT RECORD A CAST ALBUM. ENJOYED SEEING GINGER ROGERS AS DOLLY IN SAN FRANCISCO AT THE CURRAN ON TOUR."