Notes and Editorial Reviews
Violette Verdy, best remembered for her years as one of George Balanchine’s prima ballerinas at the New York City Ballet, has, in her retirement from the stage, been deeply involved in the training of young dancers. In this fascinating film, Ms. Verdy is shown coaching principal and guest artists at the Paris Opera Ballet in works of Balanchine and Jerome Robbins. Her deep respect for the material and her supportive work with her dancers define the qualities of a great teacher. Among the stars appearing in the program are Elisabeth Maurin, Isabelle Guerin, Elisabeth Platel, Margaret Illmann, and Vladimir Malakhov. Also with the participation of Roland Petit.
Color, approx. 75 min., All regions. In French and English only.
• Violette coaches Elisabeth Maurin in Emeralds (1967; Balanchine / Fauré)
• Violette coaches Isabelle Guerin in Dances at a Gathering (1969; Robbins / Chopin)
• Violette coaches Lucia Lacarra & Cyril Pierre in Liebeslieder Walzer (1960; Balanchine / Brahms)
• Violette coaches Elisabeth Platel & Nicolas Le Riche in In the Night (1970; Robbins / Chopin)
• Violette coaches Margaret Illmann & Vladimir Malakhov in Tchaikovsky Pas de deux (1960; Balanchine / Tchaikovsky)
With the permission of The George Balanchine Trust. “Tchaikovsky Pas de deux 1960”, “Liebeslieder Walzer 1960” and “Emeralds 1967” are presented by arrangement with the Balanchine Trust and have been produced in accordance with the Balanchine Style and Balanchine Technique service standards established and provided by the Trust.
Dominique Delouche, Director
Be the first to review this title