Notes and Editorial Reviews
Joseph Haydn - Die Schöpfung (The Creation)
Gabriel - Arleen Augér
Uriel - Peter Schreier
Raphael - Walter Berry
Eva - Gabriele Sima
Adam - Roland Hermann
Arnold Schoenberg Chor (chorus master: Erwin Ortner)
Gustav Kuhn, conductor
Recorded at the Alte Universität, Wien, 31 March 1982
Picture format: NTSC 4:3 (full screen)
Sound format: LPCM Stereo
Region code: All Region
Booklet notes: English, German, French
Running time: 114 mins + 18 mins (documentary)
No. of DVDs: 1
* TDK presents Joseph Haydn's famous oratorio Die Schöpfung (The Creation) in
a recording that paid tribute not only to the composer but also to the importance of historical performance practice.
* The performance on this DVD was the high point of a festival organized by the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Vienna to mark the 250th anniversary of the composer's birth. This recording was filmed on 31 March – Haydn's birthday – in the Great Hall of the Old University.
* The venue is notable, as it was here, on 27 March 1808, that Haydn himself attended a gala performance of his already hugely popular Die Schöpfung under the direction of Antonio Salieri. At almost seventy-six, Haydn was carried to the hall in a sedan chair before an audience that included Ludwig van Beethoven. It was to be his last ever appearance at a public concert.
* This gala performance uses a reduced chorus of thirty-eight singers and an orchestra of more or less the same size and instruments of the kind that were customary in Haydn's day, achieving a much darker and mellower string sound, and a sympathetic blend of the wind instruments' characteristic colours and registers. The woodwinds in particular are frequently used by Haydn for onomatopoeic effect, but the brass and even the lower strings are similarly employed.
* Austrian Television introduced the live broadcast of the concert with an introductory programme on Haydn's position in the musical life of the times, the tremendous success of The Creation and on the work and its historical background. This programme is featured as bonus on this DVD.
Works on This Recording
The Creation, H 21 no 2 by Franz Joseph Haydn
Roland Hermann (Baritone),
Gabriela Sima (Soprano),
Walter Berry (Bass Baritone),
Arleen Augér (Soprano),
Peter Schreier (Tenor)
Arnold Schoenberg Choir,
Written: 1796-1798; Vienna, Austria
Date of Recording: 3/1982
Venue: Alte Universität, Vienna
Be the first to review this title