This series of six 30-minute programs, featuring renowned conductor James Conlon and the six finalists of the Twelfth Van Cliburn International Competition held in Fort Worth, Texas in 2005, explores the relationship between the concert pianist's internal world and the composer's score. The primary focus is Maestro Conlon's insights into what makes one interpretation so different from another.
* Episode 1: Apollo or Dionysus - Musical excerpts feature finalist Davide Cabassi and the Takacs Quartet.
* Episode 2: Plato or Aristotle - Musical excerpts feature gold medalist Alexander Kobrin and the Takacs Quartet.
* Episode 3: Being It or Playing It - Musical excerpts feature silver medalist Joyce Yang and the TakacsRead more Quartet.
* Episode 4: Beauty or Truth - Musical excerpts feature finalist Chu-Fang Huang and the Takacs Quartet.
* Episode 5: Technique or Spirit - Musical excerpts feature Crystal Award winner Sa Chen and the Takacs Quartet.
* Episode 6: Tradition or Innovation - Musical excerpts feature finalist Roberto Plano, Crystal Award winner Sa Chen, and the Takacs Quartet. Read less
Works on This Recording
Work(s)by Various Artists
Sa Chen (Piano),
Joyce Yang (Piano),
Davide Cabassi (Piano),
Alexander Kobrin (Piano),
Roberto Plano (Piano),
Chu-Fang Huang (Piano)
Takács String Quartet