Principal cast includes: Lester James, Fia Karin, Charles Nelson Reilly, Richard Tone, Dody Goodman.
Recorded on February 1, 1960. Originally released on Kapp (7005). Includes liner notes by Peter Filichia.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
"Jerry Herman's first professional production was an intimate revue that enchanted Off-Broadway audiences in 1960 -- a rare LP, it has been superbly remastered for CD. Dody Goodman and Charles Nelson Reilly are the most familiar names in a delightful cast. The score is everything one would expect from young Herman -- tuneful, joyous, and always easy on the ears. We even get 'Show Tune,' the catchy 2/4Read more number that later resurfaced in Mame as 'It's Today.' Well worth hearing and owning!" -- John Kenrick, Musicals101.com
2. Show Tune
3. Save The Village Performer: Dody Goodman (Singer)
4. Your Hand In Mine Performer: Lester James (Singer), Fia Karin (Singer)
5. Confession To A Park Avenue Mother Performer: Charles Nelson Reilly (Singer)
6. Two A Day Performer: Richard Tone (Singer)
7. Just Plain Folks Performer: Charles Nelson Reilly (Singer), Dody Goodman (Singer)
8. Antique Man, The Performer: Lester James (Singer)
9. Next Time I Love, The Performer: Fia Karin (Singer)
10. Your Good Morning Performer: Lester James (Singer), Fia Karin (Singer)
11. Maria In Spats Performer: Dody Goodman (Singer)
12. Another Candle Performer: Fia Karin (Singer)
13. Jolly Theatrical Season Performer: Charles Nelson Reilly (Singer), Dody Goodman (Singer)
14. Finale (Parade) Read less
Works on This Recording
Paradeby Jerry Herman
Richard Tone (Voice),
Fia Karin (Voice),
Lester James (Voice),
Charles Nelson Reilly (Voice),
Dody Goodman (Voice)
Period: 20th Century Written: USA Date of Recording: 02/01/1960
Average Customer Review: ( 1 Customer Review )
I hadn't heard of this show called PARADE beforeAugust 30, 2012By TONY PETERSON (WALLSEND, NSW)See All My Reviews"Although I am a Jerry Herman fan, I hadn't heard of this show called PARADE before. It was intersting to find that it was a revue rather than a full Boadway show. I was expecting a full-blooded Broadway show.
The song called SHOW TUNE was later used as IT'S TODAY in MAME, one of my favourite Jerry Herman shows. It was so strange hearing that melody with different lyrics.
Jerry usually is famous for having really melodic scores for his shows, but I found that most of the tunes in PARADE were rather forgettable, and certainly not melodic, but that didn't stop me from liking some of the album.
I now have six of Jerry's Broadway shows on record or disc: PARADE; MILK AND HONEY; HELLO, DOLLY!; MAME; MAC AND MABLE; and LA CAGE AUX FOLLES.
Out of all of them, MAC AND MABEL is still the best, and I also liked his excellent music score for the TV movie MRS. SANTA CLAUS, that starred Angela Lansbury. Now that was a real treat for musical lovers.
So, comparing PARADE with those other shows, it falls a bit flat, but it was still okay to listen to. But I didn't like the revue format of having just the artist and a piano as accompianment: I much prefer a full orchestral backing for any show tune!"Report Abuse