Notes and Editorial Reviews
A joint project of Opening Day and CBC Records, Vol. 1 is the first in a series of We're From Canada releases that give a rare and eclectic look back at our music in this century as Canada nears the year 2000.
A slim-line double CD release, We're From Canada features digitally processed 78 rpm recordings (from the CBC library) of popular entertainers from the early part of this century. Folksy and informative booklet notes by Adrian Shuman, of CBC's "Fresh Air" add to the value and appeal.
Digital processing by DOREMI Laboratories.
"The incredible variety of music on We're From Canada makes it a must for any serious record collector, as well as for anyone interested in Canadian history. Congratulations to
-Peter Tiefenbach, Host of CBC’s 'RADIO CONCERT HALL'
"This recording gets our highest, Five-Star rating. We're From Canada is an important contribution to recorded sound history in Canada. Everyone should own a copy of this disc. And, it is perfect for holiday gift-giving."
-Rick Phillips CBC’s 'SOUND ADVICE'
2-CD set - "Legendary Entertainers" An eclectic anthology of recordings from CBC archives 1908-1946
CD ONE 62:00
1. O Canada -Harold Jarvis, vocalist (recorded 1908)
2. God Save The King - Peace Tower Carillon, Parliament buildings, Ottawa
3. Frivolity/Nanette - Canadian Eveready Concert Orchestra, Geoffrey Waddington, conductor
4. Over There, Peerless Quartette/Henry Burr, vocalist
5. Put Away A Little Ray Of Sunshine For A Rainy Day - Harry Thomas Trio
6. I’m A Daddy - Captain W.M. Plunkett’s Dumbell’s Revue of 1922, Red Newman, vocalist
7. Menuet Celèbre/Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes/À St. Malo - Hart House String Quartet
8. Peter Gink/Egyptland - Six Brown Brothers
9. Paradise Alley - Joseph C. Smith And His Mount Royal Orchestra
10. Sweet Hawaiian Moonlight - Ben Hokea and Al Nani, Hawaiin guitars
11. Hungarian Dance No. 5/Dance of the Hours/Liebestraum/Light Cavalry Overture - Rosario Bourdon conducting the Victor Symphony Orchestra
CD TWO 60:01
1. We’re Proud of Canada/You Belong to My Heart/I'll Remember Suzanne - Mart Kenney And His Orchestra (Art Hallman, Judy Richards, Norma Locke, vocalists)
2. Reel Medley - George Wade And His Corn Huskers, "Pete the Mountain Boy," vocalist
3. Blue Danube Waltz - Canadian National Exhibition Chorus, H.A. Fricker, director
4. Snoops the Lawyer/There are Fairies at the Bottom of my Garden - Beatrice Lille
5. Butterfly Waltz -Ernest Seitz, pianist
6. The Lord’s Prayer/ Don’t Play Bingo Tonight/Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Lor-Rah - The Happy Gang
7. Cathedral In The Pines/The Girl In The Bonnet Of Blue/I’m Old Fashioned/When The Lights Go On - Dick Todd
8. Sweethearts On Parade - Johnny Marvin
9. Dangerous Dan McGrew/Hop-Scotch Polka/Little Lady Make Believe/So Little Time - Guy Lombardo And His Royal Canadians
Be the first to review this title