Notes and Editorial Reviews
"Dmitri Pokrovsky and ensemble are simply marvelous. . . there is some magnificent, stirring music here." Sing Out! the Folk Music Magazine
"A magnificent celebration of the winter solstice." The Companion
Recorded live at two Houston Revels shows, one focusing on Russia and America, the other on Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland. At once darkly pretty and boisterous, brimming with the energy of cold people keeping warm to hot dance, rich harmony, and the pleasure of each other's company. Featuring the Karelian Folk Music Ensemble, preeminent exponents of the haunting music of Karelia, which overlaps modern Finland and Russia; and the seminal Russian folkloric group, the Dmitri Pokrovsky
Ensemble. Pokrovsky also contributes a fascinating liner-note essay on how Russian holiday traditions connect to our American Christmas.
1. Epic Song - Pokrovsky Ensemble
2. Peacock, The - Tamara Smyslova/Pokrovsky Ensemble
3. Down by the Volga River - Pokrovsky Ensemble
4. Sun Room - Pokrovsky Ensemble
5. Kind Evening - Pokrovsky Ensemble
6. Young Convert, The (from "The Christian Harmony") - Houston Chorus/Pokrovsky Ensemble
7. Go Tell It on the Mountain, Christmas song (American) - Janice O. Allen/Audience/Stan Strickland/Cambridge Chorus
8. Evening Star - David Langstaff/Houston Chorus/Pokrovsky Ensemble
9. Porushka - Pokrovsky Ensemble
10. Alleluia - Pokrovsky Ensemble/Cambridge Chorus
11. Work(s): The Great Rostov Bells
12. King David's Pslam 116 - Houston Chorus/Pokrovsky Ensemble
13. Birch Tree on the Shore - Houston Chorus/Women of the Ensemble
14. Sunset, march for band - Houston Chorus/Women of the Ensemble
15. Mary Had A Baby - Tamara Smyslova/Houston Chorus/Women of the Ensemble/Belinda Simmons
16. Ho ho ho Goat! - Houston Children's Choir
17. Proso - Sophie Grabanov/Cambridge Children
18. We Traveled Through Holy Russia - Houston Chorus/Pokrovsky Ensemble
19. Golden Yarn - Houston Chorus/Pokrovsky Ensemble
20. Work(s): Unspecified, played on the Great Mountain horn - Jeffrey Soloman/Lisa Giocoma
21. Nu ar det Jul igen (Sweden) - Houston Chorus
22. Vandring I Varlden - Matt Fichtenbaum
23. Riski Ritaan Polkka - Houston Band/Karelian Folk Music Ensemble
24. Now Falls the Snow - Houston Chorus
25. Brurmarsj fra Gudbrandsdal - Matt Fichtenbaum
26. Pappani Talo - Houston Band/Karelian Folk Music Ensemble
27. Talonpojan Tanssi - Houston Band/Karelian Folk Music Ensemble
28. Lift Up Your Hearts - Houston Chorus/Paragon Brass Ensemble
29. Sukkeret er Sottsann - Houston Chorus
30. Vid Stormyren - Matt Fichtenbaum
31. Kukku - Houston Band/Karelian Folk Music Ensemble
32. Olafur Liljuros - David Nussmann/Men of Houston Chorus
33. Byssan Lull - Women of Houston Chorus
34. Den bergtagna, medieval ballad, SMB 24 - Women of Houston Chorus/Cathy Frederick
35. Julafton - Houston Chorus
36. Karelian Tune - Karelian Folk Music Ensemble
37. Kahden Nuoren Rakkaus - Houston Band/Karelian Folk Music Ensemble
39. Mariy-El Tune - Houston Band/Karelian Folk Music Ensemble
Includes liner notes by Patrick Swanson, Susan Cooper, Dmitri Pokrovsky, Toby Weinberg and Matt Fichtenbaum.
All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology.
Personnel: Eric White (guitar, double bass); Bob Brown (guitar); Diana Woldy (violin); Christian Borlaug, Matt Fichtenbaum (fiddle); Thomas Tillotson (trumpet); Nathaniel Brickens (trombone); James Court (tuba); Jack Westmoreland (timpani).
Liner Note Author: Patrick Swanson.
Recording information: Houston, TX (1994/1995).
Photographers: Roger Ide; Sam Sweezy.
Works on This Recording
Work(s) by Various
Houston Christmas Revels,
Karelian Folk Music Ensemble
Be the first to review this title