Notes and Editorial Reviews
At last, a Debroy Somers CD to put him in his rightful place among the top bandleaders of Britain's Golden Age of dance music. Dublin-born pianist, composer-arranger, multi-instrumentalist, lyricist and MC Debroy Somers (1890-1952) ranked among the top names of that Golden Age of British dance band music during the 30s: Jack Payne, Ambrose, Henry Hall, Lew Stone, Jack Hylton and so on. His was one of the first bands to broadcast, and he was the originator of the Savoy Orpeans prior to Carroll Gibbons' leadership. There is no valid reason for his star to have waned and, if he is not such a household name nowadays, this CD programme shows that the hedonist spirit of the 30s shines out as much in his brand of happy music, as in any other
bandleader's. Living Era fills a major gap in the nostalgia market with 'Night Time Brings Dreams Of You' (Debroy Somers' theme song). This offers a 76 minute sequence covering the full range of his many recordings: dance music of course, medleys from Iving Berlin waltzes to Dixieland, reminders of West End sho0ws...Baritone sax-playing singer Dan Donovan was Somers' featured vocalist, but other singers include Webster Booth and Sam Costa. There are no other Debroy Somers CDs available.
1. Night Time Brings Dreams of You
2. Doll Dance, The
3. Red-Roofed Chalet, A
4. Carolina Moon
5. Ro-Ro-Rolling Along
7. Tell Me I'm Forgiven
8. Irving Berlin Waltz Songs: What'll I Do? / Always / Marie / All Alone
9. Peanut Vender
10. Dixieland Medley: Introduction / Whistling Rufus / Dinah / Wedding Glide / Oh! You Beautiful Doll / I Want To Be In Dixie / Gaby Girl / The Sheik Of Araby / The Ragtime Violet / That Mysterious Rag / Back Home I Tennessee / Everybody's Doing It
11. Night When Love Was Born, The
12. They All Start Whistling Mary
13. Isn't It Romantic?
14. My Heart's to Let
16. Lucky Break
17. She Wore a Little Jacket of Blue
18. Mr. & Mrs. Is the Name
19. West End Nights
20. You Are Me
21. Stop Press!
22. There's a New World
23. Goodnight, Lovely Little Lady
Personnel: Delroy Somers; Gerry Fitz-Gerald, Harry Bentley, Les Allen, Marjorie Stedeford, Muriel Barron, Sam Costa, The Carlyle Cousins Trio, Webster Booth, Tom Barrett, Brian Lawrence.
Recording information: 1927 - 1936.
Works on This Recording
Work(s) by Various
Delroy Somers (Voice)
Be the first to review this title